Tenets of Taekwondo
Spirit is used synonymous with 'essence' - and indicates the core of our physical and mental practice.
The individual Tenets of Taekwondo are: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit.
Courtesy禮議 (Lǐ yì) Courtesy is understanding dojang etiquette, and then seeking excellence in manner within the dojang and beyond. Walking this path allows you to prepare your mind for practice. Courtesy is the generosity of spirit.
Integrity廉正 (Liánzhèng) integrity refers to moral and ethical principles. Integrity is about having honesty, saying what you will do and doing what you've said - to use the appropriate method to control adversity as you experience it. Integrity is clarity of spirit.
PerseverancePerseverance is not just indicating striving in the face of adversity. 忍耐 (rěnnài) means to endure, to tolerate, to recognize that you must work past temporary pain in order to secure expertise. Perseverance is to have spiritual patience.
Self ControlA loss of 克己 (Kèjǐ) self control can be disastrous in the dojang and in daily life. However, the tenet of self control is more about adopting a mindset that allows you to focus and apply yourself to the best of your ability. This tenet is not only about not doing the wrong thing - but doing the right thing when the time comes. Self control is to seek spiritual discipline.
Indomitable Spirit百折不屈 (Bǎi zhé bùqū) indomitable Spirit is that which allows you to be unconquerable, to never be dominated. You submerge yourself on the path in order to draw from the wellspring of your practice. To be broken a hundred times yet refusing to yield. It is the spirit of courage.
- What is a Dojang.
- Following Gichin Funakoshi's 20 Precepts
- The First Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Second Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Third Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Fourth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Fifth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Eighth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Tenth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Sixteenth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- The Eighteenth Precept of Gichin Funakoshi
- Martial Arts Parables
- Protecting Ourselves from Our 'Selves'
- What was your worst experience in the martial arts?
- Are you alright?
- What role does Taekwondo have in a post 9/11 world?
- A story about Saving a Little Girl
- Self-control, Aggression and Deescalation of Violence
[Taekwondo Techniques | Subscribe | FAQs | Sitemap | FB]
Please support us by liking our FaceBook page click here