Application Training is Not Complete Training
This post is about applications.
There are hard style martial art instructors (including Taekwondo instructors) right now scrambling to come up with 'applications' for their patterns. Applications are used to justify aiki-type handlocks or takedowns, esoteric knowledge, to demonstrate credibility of their forms, or perhaps to solidify their cult of personality amongst their students.
It's the new trend to train applications, you could even say it's a cult of 'applications training'.
This video in particular has no 'applications'. The sensei does not explicitly show moves from his kata or pattern then try to demonstrate what they can be used for. Notice though, the man talks for over half an hour purely on concepts. He's giving a behind-the-scenes look at how things work in his martial art. You could get hundreds of applications from the concepts he's discussing. Then in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it instant, he also does eventually say that it all comes from patterns.
- These concepts can be used interchangeably with each other to take down the opponent - or take his head off.
- They underlie the 'applications' people are trying to come up with from their patterns.
- Training in concepts or these pre-requisite skills complement kata-based training or application training.
An expert created a form once. Then I learned it. Adapted it. But that form - in its 40 over moves - does not represent the totality of that expert. You can say the form is the well wishes of a friend who has long since passed. I speak like this because when we stopped looking for overzealous mimicking of the form, we were able to see the world like how this sensei does! Shuhari, folks.
Upcoming Articles: Please note I'm taking out Tuesday articles and only publishing articles on Monday. Having the audience that I'm reaching out to, the networks that I have, and my producing articles singly for this blog it's unsustainable to do more than one article a week, and then manage the FB page, and YouTube Channel. Thank you for understanding.
- Aug 8 - Martial Arts and Male Depression
- Aug 14 - Self-control, Aggression, and Deescalation of Violence
- Aug 21 - News: Style v Style Fight in Vietnam
- Why Karate Training is Not Good Training
- Dosan The Spearhand Counter Against Counter
- Being too literal with Pattern Applications
- Variation on Application
- The first part of the word Bunkai is 'bunk'
- Not so Hyung but Not so Old
- Front Kick Counter, and Lessons on Applications
[Taekwondo Techniques | Subscribe | FAQs | Sitemap | FB]
Please support us by liking our FaceBook page click here